Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Day in the Life

Last Sunday, I got up at a reasonable hour, and decided to start on the right foot  I'd have a good breakfast, wear a cute outfit, and... DO STUFF!!!

11:30-  "I should mow the lawn."
11:40-  dressed in good lawnmowing outfit. Heading downstairs.

Now the untimed parts of the story are simply the ones i was away from my computer for.

- I can't mow the lawn without my ipod!
-  Oh, my ipod isn't charged.
-  I'll charge it right here next to my Wii!
-  I have a Wii! I should do my Wii! Fit while I wait for my Ipod to charge.
-  Oops, Rabbit game is still in the Wii!
-  Look for Rabbit game case for 5 minutes
-  Put Rabbit game on table. I'll remember it's there.
-  Decide to start writing down what I'm doing
-  Spend 5 mins looking for pen and paper.
-  I keep using the scale, and I know this sounds all girly and all, but I swear it's 10lbs heavy.
-  I need to create a test to test it's accuracy. I'm thinking 5 lb bags of flour. I'll use the Wii scale and my scale, and weigh just the flour. and then just me, and then the flour and me, and track the results.
-  Both tests were to test balance. The first was simple: The Stillness test. I stood still for 96 seconds! This could be an ADD test. Cause the next time I stood still for 23 seconds.
-  More practicing... and I'm not so bad at yoga! Oh, hot damn! Maybe I can actually work out to yoga! Let's try them ALL!!!
-  OK let me mess with the Wii! Fit settings for a lil while.
-  Wii internet? Oh, yes please!
-  Make Mac and Cheese with hotdogs cut up into little pieces while something installs
-  spend 45 minutes setting up Wii! internet
-  discover ability to buy old school Nintendo games  for Wii! Pick out 4, add up cost, spend $30 in real money on the points to download these games. 
-  First order of business: Super Mario Brothers 3!!!!
-  My teeth hurt. 15 minute hunt for all painkillers in the house.
-  Find Tylenol next to laptop. It is 3:30.
- Do routine internet sweep: Gmail, Facebook, TFLN, Twitter, Yahoo! News, E! News, Mugglenet, Bloggess, Lamebook, Passive Aggressive Notes....weather.com.
-  4:45 There is a little teeny tiny blue thunderstorm two counties west.
-  Hmm. better wait an hour and see what that does.  I'm no weather buff, but I'm pretty sure that's gonna be huge.
-  6:15  What a pretty evening. What a pretty kitty curled up sleeping on my bed...
-  8:45  Wake up with drool in ear. Cats are judging from above. Well, it's clearly too late to mow the lawn now.
-  9:00  Sims/Frontierville/That70sshow/Office/Harry Potter/internet/gchat/facebook/etc for until...
-  2:45am fall asleep with computer running. and wii! downstairs downloading Super Mario Brothers 3. Ipod is still charging. Dishes are out. Bathroom light is on. Cats aren't fed.

Here's the point of that story: my ability to focus is about as strong as my ability to stand still. I really WANTED to mow the lawn, and be super-Anna! I just forgot. And even at 2:45am, I could easily trace my steps backwards and see why my lawnmower sat untouched. It's a slippery slope. One tiny distraction led to another, to another, and so on, until it was too late.

The following Friday (yesterday) I set myself only two goals: mow the lawn, and go to Wal-mart. Friday at 4:30 I mowed 1/4 of the yard, bringing the mowed total to 1/2 (One day between Sunday and Friday, I apparently mowed 1/4 of it. I don't know when.)

That brings me to today. I left for Wal-mart at 3pm. I was home by 5, and considered the trip to be a huge success. But here, my idea was born...

And for inquiring minds... I don't have ANY goals for tomorrow ;) Should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment