Monday, August 9, 2010

Working makes me less funny.

So, I'm an elementary school teacher. Which means I've been on paid unemployment for the last 6 weeks. I start back full time a week from today, and I have to work two days this week. The first of which was today. Man, let me tell you, at this point waking up at 7am isn't early in the morning. It's the middle of the god damn night!

Now's probably a good time to mention- I swear. a lot. and often about things that do not require swear words to describe. Sorry if that offends you. I'm not really sorry, I'm just being polite. Or a bitch, depending on how you read it. AAAAANYWAY...

When my phone alarm began beeping this morning, I was standing up reaching for it before I even registered what the noise was. It was just instinct. I got my morning internet perusing out of the way before a quick shower. Minute here, minute there, and suddenly I'm standing in front of my classroom door fishing for the key.  I auto-piloted my way through most of the morning set up. Desks are back. Posters are up. Calendar is correct. blah blah blah.

I was just starting to mindlessly hand out textbooks and assign desks when a teacher poked her head into my room.

"Hi there!" she greeted me. "How was your summer?"

"Hey!! It was great, thanks, how was yours?" I reply, feigning both surprise at seeing this person and excitement over my suckfest of a summer.



"Oh, it was great, just too short!" She responds me, also feigning interest.


"Yeah, tell me about it!" I laugh, making quick eye contact. "It seems like we JUST left this place!"


She smiles and leaves me with "Well you enjoy the rest of your summer!"


"Thanks, you do the same!"

What struck me about this conversation wasn't the tone or the discussion, it was the fact that I had already had the exact same conversation half a dozen times that morning. I've reached the point where I'm auto-piloting my conversations.

 In other news, what I'm watching and what I'm listening to

No comments:

Post a Comment